We love cheese at our house. My husband prefers to eat most of his vegetables covered in cheddar cheese. I, on the other hand, don’t mind just some garlic salt or seasoning on my veggies. So after too many nights of cheddar cheese covered vegetables, I decided to switch it up a bit. Luckily, I found a recipe that had everything I had on-hand.
Creamy Broccoli Casserole
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen broccoli, thawed (I’m sure you can use fresh)
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup crushed butter round crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place broccoli in a steamer over 1″ of boiling water and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 4-6 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large suacepan over medium heat. Stir in salt, flour and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly (*forewarned, this takes awhile*). Stir in cream cheese until melted. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of crushed crackers over the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Slowly pour the broccoli mixture into the dish and top with remianing crackers.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Conclusion: I thought it was so close to being a great side dish. The only thing missing was some taste. It was a bit bland for my husband and I. I think some garlic and seasoning would make this recipe 10 times better. Reading the reviews from AllRecipes.com, many folks say they added garlic salt or some type of seasoning. Even though the taste wasn’t perfect, I still liked this recipe. I loved the crunch the crackers provided and the different type of cheese. I think I’ll make this again but I’ll be adding more seasoning.
Posted under Recipes
This post was written by firstname.lastname@example.org on June 19, 2013