Welcome to My Garden

May 26, 2009 11 Comments

I love to garden.  Growing up in the country you have to have a garden.  I think it is a law.  It is definitely a good idea.  Mom froze everything, but I am learning to can.  This year I am actually going to use a pressure canner (after I get the gauge tested, of course).  I spent a lot of time in our garden when I was younger.  I’m sure that my mom and dad will have other memories, but I don’t remember ever not wanting to get out into the garden.  Weeding was never one of my favorite activities, but I got a boom box one year and spent many an hour listening to rock and roll and waging war on the weeds trying to take over my carrots, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and everything else that was trying to grow in our soil.  When my husband and I moved to Urbana we had a yard that we could dig up.  It started off with just a small patch and has now spread across the entire back part of the yard.  We are mainly working on a Butterfly and Hummingbird Garden but we have a small veggie patch thrown in, too.  So far we have managed to attract lots of the brown birds, ie sparrows and finches, as well as Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Red Winged Blackbirds, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Orioles and some Grackles.  We are trying to discourage the grackles, but they are pretty stubborn.  And this year we have managed to attract a nesting pair of House Wrens!

Our newest tenant.

Our newest tenant.

This is very exciting to us because twelve years ago our yard was a corn field.  The only trees on our property are the ones we have planted in the last eight years.  We have only had Robins and sparrows nesting on our property.  And grackles, ugh!

Till the next time… Dig It!

Filed in: Uncategorized

1. Diana Selck says:

Hang in there Eileen, my husband nd I have lived in our home for 31 years. We have been feeding the birds for about 10 years and the last 5 we have started having Indigo Buntings and Hummers show up at our feeders as well as all the birds you have listed. Good Luck!

2. Vicky says:

I’m excited about your new blog Eileen. Can’t wait for tips – I’m a novice!!! I do know to get rid of grackles you gotta change your feed. We had inexpensive feed and when we changed to mostly safflower, peanuts, etc they quit coming around.

3. I was just searching around about this when I stumbled on your post. I’m just stopping by to say that I really liked seeing this post, it is very well written. Are you planning toblog more on this? It looks like there is more depth here for more posts.

4. Phyllis says:

question. why don’t my iris’s bloom. They have been planted for sometime. what do i need to do to get them to bloom.
    tks

5. Paulette says:

I LOVE your bird feeder/tree!

6. Phyllis says:

Tks for the info on the iris’s will try that . Hope to plant new ones in the fall. Your colors are really beautiful. Where do you get your bulb’s?
    ty

7. eloan says:

Phyllis, I usually get my rhizomes from other people, but I have bought them from a store. I think I got some at Walmart and I have gotten some at local nurseries as well. Some live and some don’t but I usually just blame myself and not the quality of the bulb.

8. Kathy says:

My first time to read your blog and I LOVE it. Keep it up. I so love being out in my flower gardens and have already gotten several ideas from your pictures. I noticed this year my gardens are so prolific and I think that is from all the snow that was covering them this winter. Keep up the good work.

9. Lair Tienter says:

When iris do not bloom for me I have found they are planted to deep. The rhizones like to be on top of the ground with only the roots down in the soil. If you check your Iris you should see at least half if not more of the rhizones above the level of the soil. Removing some of the dirt will make a world of difference.

10. Marlene says:

I have a Ficus which is losing its’ leaves. I keep it in a shady spot outdoors in the summer but since I brought it indoors last fall, it has been losing leaves. I don’t think it is because of over/under-watering. Any other suggestions?

11. Eileen Loan says:

Marlene, Ficus tend to lose their leaves as a natural process when it changes environments. It can lose up to 20% of its foliage without concern. If it is losing more than this, it can be because of the reduced lighting or the drier conditions indoors. Make sure your tree is in a bright window. Ficus tend to lose their leaves during the “dry season” and grow new ones when the “rainy season” comes around. What I have found as a general rule is to water more when it is under more light, less when there is less light. It will be growing more with bright light and need the additional moisture. If the leaves are turning yellow you may have a pest of some sort, like scales, mealybugs or spider mites. Use an insecticidal soap to help out with that.