I managed to get some cleaning around the house done last weekend. And when I say “around the house” I mean around the house. I got all the winter detritus out of the plants surrounding the house along with getting the front raised bed cleaned out.
Cleared out the leaves that got stuck in the raised bed around the plants. Also cut off the dead stuff on most of the plants.
This is the side of the raised bed by Ole the Rose Bush (brother to Sven the Rose Bush in my backyard). I only got stuck once by a discarded branch of thorns. The irises cleaned up nicely, so I should have to worry too much about the rhizomes rotting.
The spirea and irises got a good cleaning out too. And in the process I found a nice present left by a neighborhood cat. Well, it wasn't really that nice.
The hydrangeas are starting to show growth, so I cut off last years stems. These bloom on new growth, so all the energy will go into pushing that new growth out of the ground.
Some of the new "babies"
Our original "north side of the house" garden. I think the bleeding hearts grew a foot in one day. I took this picture a couple of days ago and yesterday the bluebells (on the left) were already starting to show their colors.
I unwrapped the red pot and cleaned up all the old daylily leaves. It looks 1000 times better....although the pot looks like it is leaning. Hmm. We'll have to work on that.
The new "north side of the house" garden is showing growth, too. The white bleeding hearts and most of the columbine are coming back.
The lungwort made it through another winter.
More growth showing up, including spiderwort and another bleeding heart. There are more bluebells here, too!
And we started putting the pots out. This is our "Michael" pot in memory of one of Dwayne's cousins. I am considering putting pansies in it to add some color. At least until it gets warm enough to put something else in it. What do you think?
These are a pair of Dwayne's old workboots. They already had extra holes in them, so we cut a couple more and added some succulents that seem to thrive in them.
And the strawberry pot made it to its summer home. Although, it doesn't have any strawberries in it. So, it is actually a Hen 'n Chick pot. That doesn't flow as well.
Next up... the Main Garden. Lots to cut down and clean up.
Walking around looking at all the work that still needs done, I noticed my Fern peonies are coming up. They look really good. And it looks like they are spreading! Mom, if you are really, really nice to me, I may let you have some of them back!
My trillium is coming up, too. I have to, um, relocate some black eyed susans and coneflower that are starting to encroach, but I already have places picked out for their new homes.
All that is left of our beautiful River Rennaisance birch tree. It got knocked over in a wind storm in 2007 and then the rains of 2008 finished it off. We left it up for the woodpeckers to work at.
Mother Nature took it down with the winds last Sunday.
It still needs to be cleaned out, but the Knock Out rose is coming back from its severe rabbit pruning over the winter. I can't wait to smell the flowers!
There is plenty more to do, but the yard waste bins got full. They are empty now, but now I just have to wait for Mother Nature to cooperate.