Youth Garden Update

July 4, 2011 11 Comments

I must say the Gardens look a whole lot better this year than they did at this point last year.  That is mainly because we didn’t get started until late May or early June last year and we were playing catch-up all year. This year we started early and we have managed to keep it looking pretty good.  So far!

I spent the better part of three hours weeding the little bed next to the concrete slab. We had put a lot of annuals in it, but it also had dianthus (a biennial) and some roses that got transplanted from the Peony Pit. There were also some columbine that apparently seeded. Edwon and I then mulched around the flowers to keep the weeds down and keep it looking good.

This area had some raspberries and asparagus that I planted on the hottest day of the year last year. Needless to say, the plants didn’t make it. The weed patch has won this round, but take heed, weeds!  I will win the war!

The Weed Patch

The raised beds are doing very well again this year.

Potatoes look terrific

One bed of the tomatoes...

The other bed of tomatoes

There was even room at one end of a tomato bed for some eggplants.

While the kids were planting, I was weeding, so I don't know if these are beets or radishes. I am almost positive they are beets, but don't quote me on that.

The peppers look great. They are benefiting from some old tomato cages.

The beans look fantastic! I can't wait to see if they are ready to eat this week. For the kids, of course!

The squash/zucchini/pumpkin field is doing very well. The plants are really starting to take off.

Here’s to keeping it looking this good in another month after we get really, really tired of weeding!

Dig it!

Filed in: Youth Garden

1. Kathy says:

Not a “Real Gardener” but look at your blog and wonder if you could recomend what to plan along a 60′ barn (faces north, some protection). Something low to finish off bottom edge of barn to the ground. Something that will come back every year and take little care.
    Thanks in advance of your help

• Eileen Loan says:

Kathy, a quick response off the top of my head: for the north side of a building, you can always use hostas. There are hundreds of varieties, so you can have multiple types to keep it from being boring. You can also do ferns, bleeding hearts… I also have some columbine, lingularia (a tall, yellow, spikey flower), a viburnum and a summersweet bush. Just make sure the plant takes all or part sun. Keep an eye on the north side of the barn right now and see what gets a bit of sun at the highth of summer and what is in full shade. Then grab whatever plants you like. Make sure, though, that the plant is hardy to at least Zone 4. I made sure all of the plants were hardy to Zone 3, so it could take a severe winter. If I come up with anything else, I will let you know. Otherwise, maybe someone else has some ideas! Have a great day! Eileen

2. Janet Pottebaum says:

My tomatoes look great and have lots of blooms but very few fruit am I just trying to rush the season or what if anything can be done to help them set fruit.

3. ruth meyer says:

Everything so nice, but what effect did the storm have on it. Lived through a hail storm couple of years ago, I lived but my garden didn’t. Hope you had a better outcome than I.

• Eileen Loan says:

Ruth, thanks for your concern. It appears the garden took a hit. It was better than I thought it would be, but we will have to wait and see what made it through. Most of a pine tree is on two of the beds, so it will depend on when the tree gets removed. It is too big for me to remove it without the correct safety equipment, so I will leave that to the professionals. I am going to swing by there this afternoon on my way to the Benton County Fair and will try to get you an update. E

4. Your garden looks stunning! love the way you organised every plant in order and left space between them! hope you will have a great harvest;))

• Eileen Loan says:

Thanks! Make sure you check the next update, though. The derecho last Monday did some damage. I have some pictures and will hopefully get more when they finally get the trees cleared. I think most of the plants will be fine, but only time will tell for sure. I’ll keep you updated.

5. Nice looking garden. You got some fresh and healthy veggies in there that will surely give you good harvest. Great job!

• Eileen Loan says:

Thanks Melanie. Hopefully we will. Although it looks like the eggplants are history this year. I’ll have an update hopefully later this week.

6. Piano Toy says:

Congratulations! It looks like you’re getting serious with your gardening. Everything seems in order. I could imagine how much your harvest would be after few months. Do you also sell your harvest?

• Eileen Loan says:

If the garden produces more than the kids want to take home, we sell the overflow at the Vinton Farmers’ Market. Last year it was when the tomatoes really started to produce.