The tomatoes have had it. They are done. Kaput. Finished.
So I yanked ‘em!
After I raked the soil around a bit, it looked pretty good. And I had these bulbs of garlic just hanging around our basement…
…so I planted a bunch of them.
I used the hoe to make rows about two inches deep. I managed to get nine rows in our eight foot bed. I took the cloves off of the garlic head and pressed them in with the flat root side down.
I placed them about five inches apart. There are now 78 cloves of garlic planted in one of our raised beds.
They will grow a little this fall and when it gets colder we will put straw on it and let it sit through the winter. When it gets warm in the spring and the plants green up again, we will take the straw off and let it go. We cut off the flowers when they form and will dig up the new heads of delicious garlic when the leaves die back, which was in July this year. I cleaned off the dirt and tied them together and hung them in our basement in the utility room. They are the stiff-necked variety so I had to use twine to tie them together, but it still worked!
We got them from one of Dwayne’s co-worker’s mom, so I don’t know exactly what variety they are, but they are delicious! They have a nice bite to them and they are huge, so I don’t have to use quite so many in my cooking. I usually double (at least) whatever a recipe calls for. Still, we’ve already managed to go through half of what we grew. We didn’t count what we had this past year, so hopefully this next year we will have enough to get us through winter.
This post was written by Eileen Loan on September 29, 2011