New Houseplant

February 3, 2012 19 Comments

Growing up my dad taught me how to change a tire, change the oil in my car and how to run the walk-behind tiller in the garden.  I still have the tiller, but I lost my dad last week.  He hasn’t been able to get out into the garden for years and the last few months he has been in a nursing home.  Now he can get out in the garden all he wants.  And weed.  Although, there probably aren’t any weeds there.

When I came back to work, I found something on my desk.

A beautiful orchid!  It has a tag that says “Just Add Ice Orchid” and that is because you just have to add three ice cubes once a week to water.  I am dubious about it surviving in a house with four cats, but I will certainly give it a go.  I have a place picked out that they boys can’t get to (easily), and they won’t see me put it there and get curious about the new addition!  I’ll keep you updated about the progress and survival of the beautiful plant.

Now, I need a name.  The orchid is so beautiful and doesn’t have a name, so what do you suggest?

Dig it!

Filed in: Houseplants

1. mary lou cosselman says:

I am so sorry to read about the death of your Father, you have my sincere sympathy.
    I have a question, today I was out feeding my birds and discovered that my daffodils are atleast two inches above the ground! Any ideas on how I should try to protect them from freezing temps.?

• Eileen Loan says:

Mary Lou, thank you.
      Your daffodils will survive any cold hit, but the leaves will be frostbit and won’t look the best. If you want to protect the looks of the plant, and to give it a bit of help, you can cover the plants with mulch or straw to help provide some insulation.

2. mary lou cosselman says:

Masako she was a japanese princess!

3. NE Iowa Mom says:

My sympathy to you. It is painful to lose one’s dad. May your memories help you in this time of sadness.

4. Carol says:

Sorry to read about the loss of your dad, you have my sympathy.

5. Janet says:

Sorry to hear of the death of you Dad but he will be gardening with you all summer. Bet you will have the prettist garden in the neighborhood.

6. CR Follower says:

I was so sorry to hear of your loss Eileen. It sounds like your love of gardening came from your father. May happy memories comfort and sustain you through this time.

• Eileen Loan says:

Thank you. Both Mom and Dad liked to be outdoors, but Dad was a farmer before he started working at the University of Iowa and he taught me a lot. My cousins taught me not to fall into the pig sty, but Dad taught me a lot about the veggie garden!

7. JS says:

Eileen~
    I’m very sorry to hear about your Dad.
    The sun will shine on you and your Dad will be there along with it…and gardening will be more beautiful than you can imagine.

I would name the orchid “peace” because that is where your Dad is now.

8. Sue says:

I`m sure you have lots of beautiful memories to help fill the hole in your heart.Time doesn`t heal, but it helps.

9. Michelle Galanits says:

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your dad. I just lost my dad a couple of weeks ago and although he hadn’t been in the best of health it still was a shock. I’m glad though he was outside in his wood shop when it happened as this was his favorite place to be. He always spend his time in the outdoors. He lived on an acreage and even when he lived alone he still always had flowers planted around and lots of pots of them.

10. Denise Thompson says:

Eileen,

It is my sincere wish that when you think of your dad the warm fuzzies will prevail over tears and sadness.

As for your lovely orchid…. I think BLUSH is a good name.

11. P.J. Peverill says:

Dear Eileen,

I am sorry to hear you have lost your Father. I like the idea that he is enjoying his most beautiful garden of all. Also, in regard to your new orchid, as the lovely big blooms hover high above the pot, I would suggest naming it “Cloud Nine.”

With sincere sympathy,
    P.J. Peverill

12. Cindy-Room 1 says:

I lost my Dad last June. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. There will be lots of memories “pop up” !!
    Room 1 voted to name it Teacher since he taught you so much you can carry with you the rest of your life!

13. Sue says:

How about Seymore….since the spot up out of the cats` reach will allow him to “see more” :)

14. Marianne Folkerts says:

so sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. It’s been over 20 years since my Dad passed on. Thank you for all the information you give us and best of luck with the beautiful orchid.

15. Todd says:

Test comment hope it works.