Late last September I planted a bunch of garlic cloves in one of our raised beds. We used the end of our harvest from last year’s crop of garlic.
A few weeks ago, we pulled up what grew and built a “drying rack” for the garlic. We ended up with 83 heads of beautiful, wonderful, tasty garlic!
We let it dry for two weeks and then I cleaned off the heads and trimmed the stems. I didn’t get a chance to tie them together to hang, so they got to spend a few days in a bucket in our basement.
Once I got around to tying them up, it didn’t take very long and now we have some of the best tasting bulbs in the world hanging in our utility room.
I can hardly wait to get next year’s crop in the ground! I’ll have to wait until the tomatoes that are in the bed are finished producing. They are just starting to produce, so I’ll have to wait a little bit. Actually, I have to wait until late September, early October anyway. That is when you are supposed to plant garlic. I’ll keep you updated!
Until then, we are keeping the vampires at bay!
Posted under Summer
This post was written by Eileen Loan on July 31, 2012